In my weekly office hours at lululemon, I help provide feedback to designers on best practices for iOS design, but also through the lens of a growing design system.
Here are some of the common questions I’m thinking about when trying to provide actionable feedback.
- Will any parts of this design be confusing to the end user?
- Does it introduce any elements that go against what Apple typically recommends? If so, how is it justified?
- Has it been tested on device using a prototype?
- Are essential elements easily reachable?
- Has it been discussed at an early stage with a developer to determine if any APIs or unknown states should be considered?
- Have the most common states been considered? Ideal state, empty state, loading state, error state.
- Does this design adhere to our standardized spacing rules in the system?
- Does the spacing reflect a proper sense of hierarchy?
- Does the layout still work, ranging from an iPhone Mini to a Max?
- If there are input fields, what considerations to the design have been made when a keyboard slides into view?
- If the content is scrollable, are there affordances indicating it is?
- What are the navigation patterns around entering or exiting this view? Does it slide in? push? slide up?
- Does the design include real production data?
- Are all safe areas properly visible?
- Are call to actions being used to clearly indicate what the primary, secondary, and tertiary actions are on the screen?
- Are there new components being used where existing components will do?
- Are icons easy to understand?
- Are brand guidelines being followed when it comes to grammar, punctuation, tone, and spelling?
- Do animations feel out of place?
- Would animations help the overall design?
- Can any unnecessary elements be removed?
- Are there any haptics to consider?
- Is it clear what’s interactive and what is not?
- Are touch targets large enough for interactive elements?
- Does a loading indicator need to appear while data is being fetched?
- Do interactive items provide feedback when touched?
- Does the layout break if the user increases their dynamic type settings?
- Have new layout considerations been thought through if we need to support extra large type settings?
- Has VoiceOver been considered?
- Are color contrast guidelines being met?